Sunday, March 11, 2012

Believe in Miracles

Yesterday, the State of Hockey watched Benilde-St. Margarets defeat Hill-Murray 5-1 in the boys Class AA state hockey final. And as the final seconds ticked off the scoreboard, the Red Knights fans began chanting "We've seen a miracle", as a tribute to Jack Jablonski. The statement "Believe (Or Bel13ve) in Miracles" was often seen around St. Paul this weekend, as wristbands, shirts, hoodies, or caps were all in circulation (Found at the Jabs booth at the Lets Play Hockey expo) to help raise money for the Jack Jablonski fund.

But also, the hockey team itself was a miracle. They weren't even supposed to come out of their own section (seeded #3 in section 6AA, behind Minnetonka and Eden Prarie). But, the Red Knights did (beating the tar out of #1 'Tonka 5-1), and they never looked back. The Red Knights watched all the four seeded teams in the tourney fall on day 1 (beating #4 Edina themselves, 3-2) clearing a path to the title. They knocked off Lakeville South 10-1 in the Semifinal, and then their infamous 5-1 defeat of the Pioneers, lead by Grant Besse scoring all 5 goals. This was a miracle. Not many expected BSM to win it all. But once again, they defied the odds and did.

Now, we all get to sit back, and watch Jabby defy doctors odds and walk again.

"There is no doubt in my mind that I will walk again. I don't know how it's going to work or how far down the road it will be. I'm going to walk, and I plan on skating at least once. To skate is very important to me. The fact and maybe the realization that I could never play hockey again is kind of shocking to me. I feel like that just can't happen. There's no way that's going to be. I don't know how or when, but I know I will do all that eventually."-Jack Jablonski


No comments:

Post a Comment